Basic Program Planning
Here are a few examples of social and professional activities that may be of interest to your section:
- Distinguished Speakers Program/ Lectures – Invite one of ANS’s Speakers Bureau members to speak with your section on a topic of your choice. Plan the event with other local organizations and publicize it well to recruit a big audience or even new section members.
- Panel Discussions and Roundtables – Invite three or four people from the nuclear workforce or organize the event with members from your section. This will encourage discussions and exchange of ideas and opinions.
- Conferences – Sponsor or co-sponsor an ANS topical meeting/conference. A conference is an excellent platform for nuclear professionals to present their latest research findings, as well as an open forum for networking and exchanging of ideas.
- Screenings – Screening of Pandora’s Promise, The New Fire, and The Moment in Time: The Manhattan Project have been successful.
- Joint Section Meetings – Joint meetings (w/WIN, NAYGN, HPS etc) are a great way to interact with local professionals. There is also an opportunity for local sections to meet with student section members to teach and advise. This can be marketed as a mentoring or early career event.
- After Hour Mixers/ Social Events – Host a cocktail event, dinner, or dessert party where the main purpose is to meet and greet. Encourage others to interact and exchange thoughts and ideas. For a change of pace, these events can be hosted at bowling alleys, bars, restaurants or at a park on a nice day. Combine this with Nuclear Trivia.
- Sports Teams – Enlist your section in a local sporting league. This will promote unity and bonding among section members, as well as encourage friendly competition!
- Holiday Parties – Celebrate the holidays together with food, drinks, games and prizes! A great chance to get to know all the members and officers better.
- How-to Presentations – Have an expert in a specific field demonstrate and teach. How-to’s can range from anything including “How-to fix a resume” to “How-to Get Ready for the PE Exam,” and more! The sky is the limit.
- Fundraising – Fundraising is a great way to earn money for your section to help with expenses (outreach, meeting fees, etc.) 50/50 raffles, bowl-a-thons, golf outing are just a few great ways. Local restaurants also host fundraisers for non-profits (Chipotle, Panera, Arby’s, Portillos, Blaze Pizza, Chic-Fil-A, Culver’s etc)