Basic Program Planning
Here are a few examples of social and professional activities that may be of interest to your section:
- Distinguished Speakers Program/ Lectures – Invite one of ANS’s Speakers Bureau members to speak with your section on a topic of your choice. Plan the event with other local organizations and publicize it well to recruit a big audience or even new section members.
- Panel Discussions and Roundtables – Invite three or four people from the nuclear workforce or organize the event with members from your section. This will encourage discussions and exchange of ideas and opinions.
- Conferences – Sponsor or co-sponsor an ANS topical meeting/conference. A conference is an excellent platform for nuclear professionals to present their latest research findings, as well as an open forum for networking and exchanging of ideas.
- Screenings – Screening of Pandora’s Promise, The New Fire, and The Moment in Time: The Manhattan Project have been successful.
- Joint Section Meetings – Joint meetings (w/WIN, NAYGN, HPS etc) are a great way to interact with local professionals. There is also an opportunity for local sections to meet with student section members to teach and advise. This can be marketed as a mentoring or early career event.
- After Hour Mixers/ Social Events – Host a cocktail event, BBQ, or dessert party where the main purpose is to meet and greet. Encourage others to interact and exchange thoughts and ideas. The goal of social events is to meet new people, make connections, and just have fun. These events are a great way to get members and non-member together to talk about what ANS has to offer. For a change of pace, these events can be hosted at bowling alleys, bars, restaurants or at a park on a nice day. Combine this with Nuclear Trivia.
- Sports Teams – Enlist your section in a local sporting league. This will promote unity and bonding among section members, as well as encourage friendly competition!
- Holiday Parties – Celebrate the holidays together with food, drinks, games and prizes! A great chance to get to know all the members and officers better.
- How-to Presentations – Have an expert in a specific field demonstrate and teach. How-to’s can range from anything including “How-to fix a resume” to “How-to Get Ready for the PE Exam,” and more! The sky is the limit.
- Fundraising – Fundraising is a great way to earn money for your section to help with expenses (outreach, meeting fees, etc.) 50/50 raffles, bowl-a-thons, golf outing are just a few great ways. Local restaurants also host fundraisers for non-profits (Chipotle, Panera, Arby’s, Portillos, Blaze Pizza, Chic-Fil-A, Culver’s etc)